[opensuse-buildservice] Re: [opensuse-programming] What's the best way to cure uninitialized variables?
  • From: Dave Plater <dave.plater@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 09:13:53 +0200
On 08/08/2009 04:11 PM, Philipp Thomas wrote:
On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 15:01:42 +0200, you wrote:

The warnings come from osc, I don't get these warnings when I build the
same package using kdevelop3.

The warnings definitely come from the compiler when passed the right
Options, which is mainly -Wall! But as they are only warnings the
compiler will succeed in compiling. OSC scans the comipler output and
turns some warnings into fatal errors because the past has shown us
that these lead to broken programs.

If you carefully log the compiler output[1] and scan it afterwards
you'll see all those warnings the compiler produced.

Philipp

1) My favourite for logging when not using 'osc build' is is defining
a simple shell function mk() { make "$@" 2>&1 | tee mlog; }. Now
you simply call mk (possibly whith additional options for make) and
afterwards have a complete log.

Well I must admit I feel like an idiot, I was setting C flags in cmake
and not the CXX flags (at least I'll never make the same mistake). I can
now get the exact same messages to display in kdevelop3 as I receive
from osc, without the summary of course.
Thanks very much for your patience with me.
Regards
Dave P