Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Atomic package set updates
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 04:41:43 +0200
Am Mittwoch, 12. August 2009 22:15:52 schrieb Luke Imhoff:
Here's the use case we have for our developers:

1) The kernel gets a change by a checkin of kernel-source by Alice.
This triggers a build of kernel-FLAVORs and kernel-syms as they are all
linked to the kernel-source package (and any indirect dependents).
2) kernel-source finishes building
3) kernel-source is available for build use now
4) kernel-syms hasn't finished building as it's wating on kernel-FLAVORs
(which take longer than kernel-source)
5) Bob tries to build foo-kmp, which BuildRequires kernel-source and
kernel-syms, but osc buildinfo says expansion error because kernel-syms
cannot find the old version of kernel-source. kernel-syms has Requires:
kernel-source = %{version}-%{release} to make sure they tightly match.

Now we could get around this by making kernel-syms not dependent on a
strict version-release match with kernel-source, but then the
kernel-syms would be incorrect if the developer tried to build against
it. So, is there someway to not release the changes in kernel-source
that affect the buildinfo to developers doing local builds with 'osc
build' until after all builds triggered by the checkin of kernel-source
finishes?

thinking about this, it would mean to use packages from other projects out of
the :repo directory instead of :full (plus creating :repo.cache file).

Doable, but we do not want to do this by default, since it would block package
builds in other cases unnecessary long. (eg. you can't build bash against new
glibc from Factory, until the very last package, eg. some OpenOffice.org
package has finished).

Maybe it would be better to take this in account when we implement a release
management mechanism some time later. Where you build first in A and move
around stuff on the server after testing and submitting an event.

A request at features.opensuse.org might be helpfull to track this :)

bye
adrian

SUSE Linux Products GmbH