Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Pruning builds to conserve build power?
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 07:57:53 -0400
On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 7:18 AM, Lars Marowsky-Bree<lmb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>
Also, is there a way to significantly drop the priority of these
packages in the build sequence instead of totally shutting them down?
Maybe have a "green" server that does not generate lots of heat just
for compiling these low priority jobs?

That would also work of course. Adjusting the priority based on the
commit activity, with a sliding scale or something.

Just using the download frequency is not sufficient; that works for
long-term trends and identifying projects which may be prunable, but the
developer sitting there trying to build the next revision of a new
project (which hasn't been downloaded much yet) is going to be throughly
annoyed.

For what it is worth (2 cents? less?), my high-level statement is:

I'm in favor of adjusting build priorities based on various packager /
end-user activities. I'm not in favor of a boolean go / no go
decision based on same.

Greg