Re: [opensuse-buildservice] buildservice query
  • From: <doiggl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 14:13:29 +1000

Adrian wrote:

Exactly. And you need mainboards which can take this amount of memory
at
all (32GB * 16 = 0.5 TB RAM)
So this is too expensive, but the systems should use the existing ram
for caching as much as possible in our configuration.

What about use tmpfs for /usr/src/packages/BUILD (at least for small
packages)? It will not need a huge amount of RAM as whole build root in
ram disk. The build root creation should be speeded up using similar
technique as Yast uses - installation from images.
Where is the advantage ?
We use the hdd, but if there is enough memory, the kernel will not write
out anything. Or at a point of time which is best for it.
We played with images based setup, but given the speed of current CPUs,
the only platform where this helped was s390. Okay, the ARM builds would
be a
good candidate maybe too.

bye
adrian

Michal wrote:
What about use tmpfs for /usr/src/packages/BUILD (at least for small
packages)? It will not need a huge amount of RAM as whole build root in a
ram disk. The build root creation should be speeded up using similar
technique
as Yast uses - installation from images.
Regards
Michal Vyskocil

How about this:
- If you use existing main board, add 1 or 2 extra memory modules to that.
- Create a ramdisk using that ram.
- Build the smaller small packages on that.
Cheers Glenn