Re: [opensuse-buildservice] buildservice query
  • From: Michal Vyskocil <mvyskocil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 10:28:30 +0200
Dne Po 3. srpna 2009 09:59:25 Adrian Schröter napsal(a):
Am Montag, 3. August 2009 09:53:14 schrieb Michal Vyskocil:
[snip]

What about use tmpfs for /usr/src/packages/BUILD (at least for small
packages)? It will not need a huge amount of RAM as whole build root in a
ram disk. The build root creation should be speeded up using similar
technique as Yast uses - installation from images.

Where is the advantage ?

We use the hdd, but if there is enough memory, the kernel will not write
out anything. Or at a point of time which is best for it.

That was just an idea. I use tmpfs for my local builds and have a good
experience with it, but I can imagine that this is not doable in a build farm.

We played with images based setup, but given the speed of current CPUs, the
only platform where this helped was s390. Okay, the ARM builds would be a
good candidate maybe too.

Good to know.

Best regards
Michal Vyskocil