Re: [opensuse-buildservice] buildservice query
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 09:59:25 +0200
Am Montag, 3. August 2009 09:53:14 schrieb Michal Vyskocil:
Dne Po 3. srpna 2009 09:21:46 Adrian Schröter napsal(a):
Am Sonntag, 2. August 2009 16:27:39 schrieb doiggl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
Hello,
Just a query in relation to the build service.
In relation to Ram(memory) and Disk, I know things get done quicker in
ram than on disk.

Question: Could a ram disk be utilized do the compilation of
packges/projects/rpms in faster memory instead of slower disk ?

yes

The build logs/completed rpms/are then copied off to disk, and the
ramdisk is cleared off before the next project starts compiling.
Get more packages done in the same amount of time.
Extra Ram costs money but there would be a benefit as well.

Exactly. And you need mainboards which can take this amount of memory at
all (32GB * 16 = 0.5 TB RAM)

So this is too expensive, but the systems should use the existing ram for
caching as much as possible in our configuration.

What about use tmpfs for /usr/src/packages/BUILD (at least for small
packages)? It will not need a huge amount of RAM as whole build root in a
ram disk. The build root creation should be speeded up using similar
technique as Yast uses - installation from images.

Where is the advantage ?

We use the hdd, but if there is enough memory, the kernel will not write out
anything. Or at a point of time which is best for it.

We played with images based setup, but given the speed of current CPUs, the
only platform where this helped was s390. Okay, the ARM builds would be a good
candidate maybe too.

bye
adrian

SUSE Linux Products GmbH