Re: [opensuse-buildservice] buildservice query
  • From: Michal Vyskocil <mvyskocil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 09:53:14 +0200
Dne Po 3. srpna 2009 09:21:46 Adrian Schröter napsal(a):
Am Sonntag, 2. August 2009 16:27:39 schrieb doiggl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
Hello,
Just a query in relation to the build service.
In relation to Ram(memory) and Disk, I know things get done quicker in
ram than on disk.

Question: Could a ram disk be utilized do the compilation of
packges/projects/rpms in faster memory instead of slower disk ?

yes

The build logs/completed rpms/are then copied off to disk, and the
ramdisk is cleared off before the next project starts compiling.
Get more packages done in the same amount of time.
Extra Ram costs money but there would be a benefit as well.

Exactly. And you need mainboards which can take this amount of memory at
all (32GB * 16 = 0.5 TB RAM)

So this is too expensive, but the systems should use the existing ram for
caching as much as possible in our configuration.

What about use tmpfs for /usr/src/packages/BUILD (at least for small
packages)? It will not need a huge amount of RAM as whole build root in a ram
disk. The build root creation should be speeded up using similar technique as
Yast uses - installation from images.

Regards
Michal Vyskocil