Re: [opensuse-buildservice] buildservice query
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 09:21:46 +0200
Am Sonntag, 2. August 2009 16:27:39 schrieb doiggl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
Hello,
Just a query in relation to the build service.
In relation to Ram(memory) and Disk, I know things get done quicker in ram
than on disk.

Question: Could a ram disk be utilized do the compilation of
packges/projects/rpms in faster memory instead of slower disk ?

yes

The build logs/completed rpms/are then copied off to disk, and the ramdisk
is cleared off before the next project starts compiling.
Get more packages done in the same amount of time.
Extra Ram costs money but there would be a benefit as well.

Exactly. And you need mainboards which can take this amount of memory at all
(32GB * 16 = 0.5 TB RAM)

So this is too expensive, but the systems should use the existing ram for
caching as much as possible in our configuration.

bye
adrian

SUSE Linux Products GmbH