Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Where does build service look for dependents?
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 11:39:52 +0200
Am Freitag, 17. Juli 2009 11:31:17 schrieb Johannes Meixner:
Hello,

On Jul 17 10:58 Adrian Schröter wrote (shortened):
Am Freitag, 17. Juli 2009 10:01:11 schrieb Johannes Meixner:
Hello,

On Jul 16 10:11 Dave Plater wrote (shortened):
if I have the BuildRequires packages present in my project will
they be the packages used in the build?

Not by default.
By default the BuildRequires packages are used from what is
defined to be the build repository for the package.

But the packages from the same project are always used by default (except
someone disable "useforbuild" and calls wipebinaries).

This default confuses me because - as far as I understand it - it means
that when there is a whatever kind of broken package in a development
project (here "broken" means it builds but does not work as it should)
other packages in the development project may become also broken.

This default means for development projects that all the packages
therein must be kept "in sync" (in particular regarding backward
compatibility). Otherwise with this default it is not possible
to safely try out something for one package in a development project
without the risk to cause bad side-effects for other packages therein.

I do not exactly understand what you mean here. But yes, the idea of the
development projects is that you test packages, which belong together.
So you can verify what your package is breaking and can fix the other ones as
well.

This leads hopefully to the situation that the breakage does not appear in
openSUSE:Factory the first time.

bye
adrian

SUSE Linux Products GmbH