Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Where does build service look for dependents?
  • From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 09:49:10 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

On Jul 16 09:25 Dave Plater wrote (shortened):
Andreas Jaeger wrote:
On Thursday 16 July 2009 08:22:30 Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
Dave Plater schrieb:
Dave Plater wrote:

Hi, is there anyway to control where a package I'm building looks for
dependencies?
Regards
Dave P

Am I right in assuming that this is decided in the spec file by
BuildRequires or is it Requires?

It's BuildRequires.
And it's expanded to the BuildRequires of your BuildRequires and so on.

No, to the Requires of your BuildRequires!

I'm confused, after playing around with field "Requires:" it seemed to
me that it was passed on to the resulting rpm "requires".

If your package is named A and in it spec file there is
BuildRequires N M
Requires X Y
then the build service needs the following package to build A:
N and all what in the spec file on N is as "Requires"
and all what the "Requires" of N have as "Requires"
and all what the "Requires" of the "Requires" of N have as "Requires"
and so on...
M and all what in the spec file on M is as "Requires"
and all what the "Requires" of M have as "Requires"
and all what the "Requires" of the "Requires" of M have as "Requires"
and so on...

After package A was built,
the build service looks for all other packages which have the
repository which contains this exact package A as build repository
(there may be several packages also named A in various repositories)
which have in their spec files
BuildRequires A
and the build service re-builds all those other packages.

After package A was built, when an end-user likes to install A
the package installation tool on the end-users system will make sure
that when A gets installed also X and Y get installed.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex