Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Conventions for game packages
  • From: Pavol Rusnak <prusnak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 17:32:43 +0200
Vincent Petry wrote:
Hello,

I have been advised to use these conventions when packaging games:
http://en.opensuse.org/Packaging/Games

and have the following questions about the package splitting between
base and game data:
1) Is it necessary to always put the data in a separate package ? Is
there a maximum size (ex: < 10MB) for which it is okay to keep it as
one single package ? Because if many small games have data packages,
it will easily "spam" the package list. This info should be added on
that wiki page (I can do that if someone can confirm).

There is no maximum size chosen yet, but use your common sense. We could
pick some particular value, but there still would be some exceptions.

2) How to handle the mentionned "bugfixes" updates ?
If the upstream tar archive has changed, OBS will anyway rebuild
both the base and data packages, if there is only one spec file. So
after this it all depends on how the user chooses to do the update.
But for the user it might also not be clear whether the data package
needs to be updated as well. I guess this could be enforced using
version numbers in the Require tag. What do you think ?

You should use versions in Require tags. If you know that game with
version 1.3.3 works with data of a version 1.2 or later , you could use
the following scheme:

game.spec

Version: 1.3.3
Requires: game-data >= 1.2

game-data.spec

Version: 1.2
Requires: game >= 1.2

3) How is the Requires dependency applied ? I guess the base package
requires the data package. Is it possible to make the data package
require the base one at the same time ? (double-dependency)

It is possible to make double-dependency and you should use it (see the
example above).

--
Best Regards / S pozdravom,

Pavol RUSNAK SUSE LINUX, s.r.o
openSUSE Community Multiplier Team Lihovarska 1060/12
PGP 0xA6917144 19000 Praha 9, CR
prusnak[at]suse.cz http://www.suse.cz