[opensuse-buildservice] Re: [opensuse] Build service repository populatiry measure
  • From: Peter Poeml <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 12:13:37 +0200
Hi Roger,

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 07:44:35 +0200, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

I know such things do not mean anything in the big picture, but I am
curious if the repository download mechanism on the OBS tracks how many
times an RPM is downloaded.

We actually tracked downloads in the first years of the build service.
We counted downloads of each package individually, per version, per
architecture and per build platform.

We kept a database of those numbers over about one and a half years.
There was a mechanism that was needed to transfer the data from the
machine where it is accumulated (download.opensuse.org) to another
machine where it would be displayed (build.opensuse.org). We found that
this mechanism became too slow over time and would have needed
improvement.

However, we never found the resources to work on that...

You could look at https://build.opensuse.org/statistics, which shows
outdated data, and the page takes minutes to load for some reason, but
you might stil get the idea.

I am thinking more in terms of a trigger to
perhaps announce the existence a repository with relatively little
access.

That would be really worthwhile.

It could also trigger having an oft accessed repository added to
the list of repositories one gets when adding a Community repository in
YaST. Just curious.

Also an interesting idea.

In addition, that kind of data could help with mirroring decisions.

Without, it is more difficult to make an informed guess about which
content to mirror world-wide and which not. (We have to mirror content,
and we have to make these decisions, because the build service is
a very large tree.)

I'd like to resurrect this, but am lacking the time myself.
The build service specific Apache logging module is this one:
http://svn.mirrorbrain.org/viewvc/mod_stats/trunk/
Some scripts that were used to transfer the data (and which failed) are
here: https://forgesvn1.novell.com/svn/opensuse/trunk/tools/download-stats/
I would also like to push the logging concept to broader level, which I
have described here: http://mirrorbrain.org/download-statistics

I would be more than interested to get this going again. I have some
other, more pressing things to get done at the moment, though.

Peter

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Research & Development
  • No further messages