Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Extreme waste of space by source RPMs
  • From: Peter Poeml <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 12:58:29 +0200
On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 09:36:16AM +0200, Adrian Schröter wrote:
The source RPMs should be published once only, if at all. What do you
think?

Actually no, since they differ. OBS is adapting spec files to be usable on
that particular plattform.

So we have:
- differing spec files
=> hm, hard to do something about that.

- different header checksums due to tiny bits differing per build (build
time. => I'm sure we could ignore these

- different compression
=> We could simply use the same compression for all source RPMs, least
common denominator that works on all platforms

But the plan was to move them under /pub/opensuse/source/repositories/...
to be able to exclude them.

That would also be useful. It'd eventually allow us to keep them in a
separate, more manageable tree, on a separate disk and treat them with
lower priority.

Just dropping the source rpms and point people to checkout sources with osc
tool was discarded in earlier discussions, because people wanted to have
source rpms as they are used to.

Once we have *direct* access to the sources (without a login), we can
make generation of source RPMs optional. That'll help very much I think.
For many people it will just be more valuable to point to expanded
sources (that everybody can look at), than at a source RPM (that in many
cases is inconvenient).

I added this comment https://features.opensuse.org/306192#comment_9
to the feature #306192: "Make BuildService accessible for anonymous
users".

(So far, I repeatedly find myself copying sources to some private server
to make them accessible. Source RPMs are of little help to most people on
other platforms.)

Peter

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Research & Development