Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Some "Substitute"s
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 12:00:56 +0200
Am Freitag, 10. Juli 2009 11:47:53 schrieb Pavol Rusnak:
Cristian Morales Vega wrote:
2009/7/7 Pavol Rusnak <prusnak@xxxxxxx>:
Cristian Morales Vega wrote:
2009/7/7 Pavol Rusnak <prusnak@xxxxxxx>:
Cristian Morales Vega wrote:
I don't know exactly what policy you use to add them (I suppose you
don't add them for released/fixed products as openSUSE < 11.2), but
anyway some I use...

Thinking more about this, I see no cause to avoid adding new
Subtitutes to openSUSE:11.0 or openSUSE:10.3.

Me neither, I was not suggesting not to add the Substite.

%if 0%{?fedora_version}
Substitute: libexpat-devel expat-devel
Substitute: libpulse-devel pulseaudio-libs-devel
Substitute: pkg-config pkgconfig
%endif

You can use pkgconfig in SUSE packages too (our pkg-config provides
the pkgconfig symbol).

I know, but I suppose that will be removed at some point.
Looking into it, that provides could already be removed. The pkgconfig
-> pkg-config rename is from openSUSE 10.2->10.3, no supported version
still uses pkgconfig.

I was told that this symbol is not going to be removed, because we are
keeping it not only for openSUSE 10.2 and older, but also for
compatibility with Fedora/Mandriva.

Maintain compatibility in cases of different package name isn't
exactly why Substitute exists? Why pkg-config is special? If we are
going to have to use "pkgconfig" to maintain compatibility with other
distros then the rename in openSUSE didn't make much sense to start
with.

Anyway, will any of them be added? I ask because I "need" (I could use
#ifdef in the spec file, but the Substitute way seems better to me*)
the gstreamer and xine ones for a package from KDE:KDE4:Community. If
they are going to be in the root repos I can just wait.

It has down and up sides, adding them will help for all new packages and new
users definitivly.

The downside is that it will break projects, which build the new package names
for the old distro and depend on them. They will suddenly break when I add
these substitutes, because now the "old" one from the distro will be used
instead of the new one in their projects (or in some mid-level projects like
KDE:Factory).
It can of course get fixed again by adding lines to the project config of
these projects.

So, the question is if we want to keep base distros as stable as possible for
people building against or if we want to map as much as possible.

I am quite unsure what to do here ...

bye
adrian

SUSE Linux Products GmbH