Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Some "Substitute"s
  • From: Pavol Rusnak <prusnak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 11:47:53 +0200
Cristian Morales Vega wrote:
2009/7/7 Pavol Rusnak <prusnak@xxxxxxx>:
Cristian Morales Vega wrote:
2009/7/7 Pavol Rusnak <prusnak@xxxxxxx>:
Cristian Morales Vega wrote:
I don't know exactly what policy you use to add them (I suppose you
don't add them for released/fixed products as openSUSE < 11.2), but
anyway some I use...

Thinking more about this, I see no cause to avoid adding new
Subtitutes to openSUSE:11.0 or openSUSE:10.3.

Me neither, I was not suggesting not to add the Substite.

%if 0%{?fedora_version}
Substitute: libexpat-devel expat-devel
Substitute: libpulse-devel pulseaudio-libs-devel
Substitute: pkg-config pkgconfig
%endif
You can use pkgconfig in SUSE packages too (our pkg-config provides the
pkgconfig symbol).
I know, but I suppose that will be removed at some point.
Looking into it, that provides could already be removed. The pkgconfig
-> pkg-config rename is from openSUSE 10.2->10.3, no supported version
still uses pkgconfig.
I was told that this symbol is not going to be removed, because we are
keeping it not only for openSUSE 10.2 and older, but also for
compatibility with Fedora/Mandriva.

Maintain compatibility in cases of different package name isn't
exactly why Substitute exists? Why pkg-config is special? If we are
going to have to use "pkgconfig" to maintain compatibility with other
distros then the rename in openSUSE didn't make much sense to start
with.

Anyway, will any of them be added? I ask because I "need" (I could use
#ifdef in the spec file, but the Substitute way seems better to me*)
the gstreamer and xine ones for a package from KDE:KDE4:Community. If
they are going to be in the root repos I can just wait.

* I get a cleaner spec file. And we have a *single* database of
differences between distro for the day we want to talk to them and
unify the names.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravom,

Pavol RUSNAK SUSE LINUX, s.r.o
Community Multiplier Team Lihovarska 1060/12
PGP 0xA6917144 19000 Praha 9, CR
prusnak[at]suse.cz http://www.suse.cz