Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Extreme waste of space by source RPMs
  • From: Peter Bowen <pzb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 13:50:29 +0000
On Fri, 2009-06-26 at 15:44 +0200, Michal Čihař wrote:
Dne Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:39:53 +0200
Peter Poeml <poeml@xxxxxxx> napsal(a):

we waste extreme amounts of space on our download server (and on the
mirrors) by the way we publish source RPMs.

Yes.

From my understanding, each of the source rpms could be used to achieve
the same build result. (Or isn't that the case?)

Unfortunately source rpms do not have to be same for all architectures
(for example if you have Patch hidden by some %ifs). Not sure if it
case for some existing package though.

Also different rpms from different distributions might compress source
rpm in a different way.

The source RPMs should be published once only, if at all. What do you
think?

If they are all same, there is surely no need to duplicate them.

Unfortunately using an external checksum will always fail, as at least a
little distro metadata is included in each package (plus the
randomization related to the GPG signature).

It would be much better if the build service could do a first pass for
building the source RPM then rebuild that for all platforms. One can
still conditionalize patch application and use distro specific variables
in spec files, as the spec file is re-expanded during the rebuild.

Would this be possible?

Thanks,
Peter