[opensuse-buildservice] unnecessary blocking between packages in a project.
  • From: <Michael_E_Brown@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 14:10:33 -0500

I have a case in my private OBS instance where it looks like there is
unnecessary blocking between two packages (with a BuildRequires dependency) in
a project when publish and useforbuild is disabled.

My project setup:
Integration (BuildRepositories BR-a BR-b BR-c)
pkgA
pkgB (BuildRequires: pkgA)
pkg-n

home:testbuild (BuildRepositories Integration/BR-a Integration/BR-b
Integration/BR-c)
pkgA
pkgB (BuildRequires: pkgA, which should be coming from Integration/pkgA)

The testbuild project is set to build off the integration project so that we
can do a test build of any individual package. The 'pkgA', 'pkgB' packages in
home:testbuild are set to:
<useforbuild><disable/></useforbuild>

This is so that all BuildRequires are always set to pull from the integration
project.

What I have observed is that when I rebuild pkgA in home:testbuild, pkgB goes
into a "blocking" state unnecessarily. I say unnecessarily because pkgB should
be pulling pkgA from the Integration project, not home:testbuild, so there
should not actually be a dependency relationship between these two packages.
Despite this, obs will block build of pkgA until pkgB has completed its build.

This is somewhat problematic for us because I had planned on doing all test
builds in a singe home:testbuild project.
--
Michael