Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Important osc version 0.119 release !
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 18:03:32 +0200
Am Dienstag, 16. Juni 2009 17:56:21 schrieb Takashi Iwai:
At Tue, 16 Jun 2009 17:07:18 +0200,

Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Dienstag, 16. Juni 2009 16:44:05 schrieb Vincent Untz:
Hi,

Le mardi 16 juin 2009, à 15:13 +0200, Adrian Schröter a écrit :
The new osc version 0.119 is released and available in the
openSUSE:Tools project.

Can you make sure it enters openSUSE:Factory too? Would be better to
have a working osc experience out of the box ;-)

it is on the way ...

Command UI changes
==================

osc submitreq create -> osc submitreq
osc submitreq accept/decline/show/revoke -> osc request accept/...
osc submitreq delete -> osc request wipe
osc deletepac -> osc delete or osc
rdelete osc deleteprj -> osc rdelete
osc rlog -> osc log
osc rprjresults -> osc prjresults
osc rresults -> osc results
osc req -> osc api
osc rebuildpac -> osc rebuild

Hrm. I didn't see the thread about this, but I would have also
mentioned that breaking the UI for this isn't really a good thing.
Sure, it'll be necessary at some point, but I don't agree it was
necessary for those new features. Some complete redesign would probably
have been better, since we're probably keeping some bad UI.

Eg:
- renaming rebuildpac but not copypac or linkpac is a bit weird.
- remotebuildlog while we have rdelete, rdiff, etc. (sure, rbuildlog
is an alias, but then why keep remotebuildlog?)
- we have results, but buildlog, buildinfo, buildconfig, etc.? I
would have expected buildresults

(so my main issue is that we're breaking the UI now, and we'll probably
have to break it again later)

We think that these changes avoid exactly that we need to break request
handling commands again. But keeping the old ones would create conflicts
again and again.

Also, why not keep the old commands for compatibility when possible
(ie, not for req)? Was this difficult for some reason, or was it just
lack of time?

The thread was on opensuse-buildservice when the 0.118/9 beta versions
where announced.

We kept the old commands where it caused no conflicts, but we wanted to
have a UI which can be conflict free in future in first place.

Well, "osc sr create" would actually issue a command to the project
"create", right?

right

I find it's dangerous (and more unintuitive) than
just giving an error "command not found".

Do you have tried ? This is not the case ;)

You get a big fat warning first pointing you to the new command and afterwards
an error from the server (because the project "create" does not exist in our
instances).

bye
adrian

SUSE Linux Products GmbH