Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Important osc version 0.119 release !
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 17:56:58 +0200
Am Dienstag, 16. Juni 2009 17:27:18 schrieb Vincent Untz:
Le mardi 16 juin 2009, à 17:07 +0200, Adrian Schröter a écrit :
Am Dienstag, 16. Juni 2009 16:44:05 schrieb Vincent Untz:
Command UI changes
==================

osc submitreq create -> osc submitreq
osc submitreq accept/decline/show/revoke -> osc request accept/...
osc submitreq delete -> osc request wipe
osc deletepac -> osc delete or osc
rdelete osc deleteprj -> osc rdelete
osc rlog -> osc log
osc rprjresults -> osc prjresults
osc rresults -> osc results
osc req -> osc api
osc rebuildpac -> osc rebuild

Hrm. I didn't see the thread about this, but I would have also
mentioned that breaking the UI for this isn't really a good thing.
Sure, it'll be necessary at some point, but I don't agree it was
necessary for those new features. Some complete redesign would probably
have been better, since we're probably keeping some bad UI.

Eg:
- renaming rebuildpac but not copypac or linkpac is a bit weird.

yes, might be. question is if copy(pac) and link(pac) should also work local
in future (now that we have package tracking) and if that works without
conflicts.

- remotebuildlog while we have rdelete, rdiff, etc. (sure, rbuildlog
is an alias, but then why keep remotebuildlog?)

actually from my point of view buildlog and rbuildlog are bother remote
commands, because they got the log from the server.

an "osc buildlog" may would show the build log from your local build, would
that make sense ?

Of course again an incompatible change.

- we have results, but buildlog, buildinfo, buildconfig, etc.? I
would have expected buildresults

hm, maybe a good idea, we could rename and keep an alias to the old name.

(so my main issue is that we're breaking the UI now, and we'll probably
have to break it again later)

We think that these changes avoid exactly that we need to break request
handling commands again. But keeping the old ones would create conflicts
again and again.

I'd disagree about not needing to change the request handling commands
anymore. At least, I disagree if we want to have a good UI.

First thing that strikes me is that submitrequest is not a good name
anymore. I mean: deleterequest and changedevelrequest are pretty clear,
since they are about "delete" and "change devel". But submitrequest is
about "submit"? What does that mean?

So what do you propose, call it "mergerequest" or "copyrequest" ?
We could do so with the new command styles and keep compatibility now :)

Also, when I do deletereq, I submit a delete request. So it could have
lived as a subcommand of submitreq (assuming the
accept/decline/revoke/delete subcommands were moved, which is the case
since the moved to the request command).

IMHO, we can't really make the UI good if we don't look at the big
picture. And the bigger issue about the osc UI is that osc does multiple
things:

+ commands to work on a local checkout (co, commit, add, rm, build,
etc.)
+ commands to work on the project structure of obs (meta, copypac,
linkpac, etc.)
+ commands for the collaboration features (branch, sr, req, etc.)
+ some misc commands to interact with the build service (maintainer,
platforms, search)
+ (maybe some other categories)

All those commands are mixed at the same level. So it can be hard to
know what's the difference between delete, deletereq and rdelete, eg.

I don't have a good solution for all this, and I'm not saying it's easy.

I would suggest that we work on a good proposal in the wiki first.
This time we had the additional proplem that we were under time pressure as
well. But we can avoid this, if we plan now for the future.

Afterwards we do a last incompatible implementation and name osc 1.0 with the
goal to keep the UI.

bye
adrian

SUSE Linux Products GmbH