Re: [opensuse-buildservice] new "osc request" handling
  • From: Ruediger Oertel <ro@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 01:33:02 +0200
On 2009-06-04 14:40:02 -0600, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
+1, I think if we are going to make changes now is the time to do it for
both osc and the UI. We need to get it right now. I like what has been
proposed.

osc is an user interface. user interface doesnt always mean "graphical".
and the whole discussion was about osc not about the webclient or
anything. and for a cmdline tool the important part are stable cmdline
params/subcommands.

well, I'd second that.
Not that I like any of the osc cmdline syntax particularly ;) but at least I
have
my most common commands easily at hand after quite a while now, and
I'd guess others have similarly invested time to find out ways to do the tasks
they want to accomplish and how to express that with osc.

Extending the interface by new methods (options, arguments, ...) is perfectly
fine but I'd really ask to keep the current ones working for quite a while(1)
probably
with some reminder for the (updated/changed) new syntax, at best with a reminder
that gives me a cut'n'paste full expansion of how to write my "oldish" command
in a current way with all arguments already in place.

There is always a learning curve when people start to do things and I think we
agree
that we want more people to use the buildservice and it's tools like osc.
Changing
some of the most common commands (and I think the submitreq is part of that set)
will push many people back to the start of that curve.

By abandoning interfaces now, the user will get the impression: "this worked
yesterday
but does not any longer, something is broken ...". After all we should not
forget that for
most users of the buildservice, the buildservice itself is just a method to get
work done
(change code, look at diffs, submit changes,...) and they don't really want to
care about
the technology or cleanlyness of a commandline interface.

There are vaild reasons and technical neccessities to add and extend the
interface,
but up to now I don't see the reason to break things.

just my 2 cents since you asked for comments ... ;)

(1) thinking about it: would it be possible to hack up some statistic in the
api to
see which commands/variants are used frequently to get an idea when some
possibly outdated interface is really "almost" not used anymore ?

--
with kind regards (mit freundlichem Grinsen),
Ruediger Oertel (ro@xxxxxxxxxx,ro@xxxxxxx,bugfinder@xxxxxxxxxxx)