Re: [opensuse-buildservice] new "osc request" handling
  • From: Marcus Rueckert <darix@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 18:20:12 +0200
On 2009-06-02 16:24:45 +0200, Adrian Schröter wrote:
Juergen, Michael, Klaas and me sit together to discuss how should we
design the osc request interface. The problem is that osc only knows
"submitreq" command so far. But now we have two more requests, delete and
devel_change requests. And more will come.

This new design will not be compatible with the current "osc submitreq"
and we will most likely not be able to support the old commands in the
same syntax anymore. But we think it is better to do this change anyway
to have it more consistent.

Our idea are the following commands for osc. Please tell us your opinion
about it. (We will implement this tomorrow if no new problems pop up).

you are breaking the UI for no real reason. which is bad.

as written the reason is that "sr" would not able to handle delete or change
devel requests.

it is not supposed to.
osc sr create will only create submitrequests nothing more. all other
options like accept/decline/revoke/show/wipe can just map through to
their osc request equivalent.

for creating delete/changedevel requests you have to use the new
command. that way you even got a guidance towards the new command.

maybe we should even add a warning when using the osc sr wrapper that
the UI is deprecated and getting removed in the future.

that gives people time to adapt scripts and themself.

And we made also cleanups in other commands for this release, so better do a
change at one step to get a consistent logic again.

Create new requests:
================
osc sr
osc sr PROJECT PACKAGE DESTPROJECT [DESTPACKAGE]
osc submitrequest
osc submitrequest PROJECT PACKAGE DESTPROJECT [DESTPACKAGE]

osc dr PROJECT [PACKAGE]
osc deleterequest PROJECT [PACKAGE

osc cr PROJECT PACKAGE DEVEL_PROJECT [DEVEL_PACKAGE]
osc changedevelrequest PROJECT PACKAGE DEVEL_PROJECT [DEVEL_PACKAGE]

inconsistent. see below

Why is this inconsistent ? where is the conflict ?

all other related commands are below osc request. e.g with the old osc
you can do "osc sr help" and get all commands related to submitrequests.

you should get the same with "osc rq help" moving the creation commands
out of the scope makes this unnecessarily complex.

Note: So far we had "osc submitreq create ...", the create will get
dropped.

Modify existing requests:
=========================

osc request accept ID
osc request decline ID
osc request revoke ID (drops the request, but it is still showable)
osc request wipe ID (removes the requst forever)

osc request deletion PROJECT [PACKAGE]
osc request changedevel PROJECT PACKAGE DEVEL_PROJECT [DEVEL_PACKAGE]
osc request submit PROJECT PACKAGE DESTPROJECT [DESTPACKAGE]

could get implemented, yes. But deletion would be a special writing, while we
use "delete" elsewhere. and "osc sr" is much shorter than "osc rq submit",
important since it is an often use command.

well. as i proposed keep the osc sr compat api.
then you can easily do osc sr c(reate) <params>

an "osc rq su <params>" is equally short (but a bit cryptic.:)
(it follows a similar UI as "ip" from iproute2 here. as soon as a
subcommand can be match without ambiguity it can be used.)

maybe as "osc rq sr <params>"

that way we can leave the old "osc sr" behavior in place as compat
layer. we got this documented in many places, (Wiki, blog postings)
and should not just break it in a rush (2days for such an intrusive
change is a bit too short).

not really, or at least with problems when you want to deal with the new
requests submitted by someone else.

well. i am not talking about the server side api. just the client side
UI. and i think that can be covered.

(optional "rq" for "request")

you also added osc req als alternative, which was used before to run api
requests manually. will it would be confusing to keep both around. again
breaking the UI.

yes, but we never promised to keep it forever. We have a stable API instead
if
you rely on automatism.

well we want to handle the UI as carefully as an api.

darix

--
openSUSE - SUSE Linux is my linux
openSUSE is good for you