Re: [opensuse-buildservice] new "osc request" handling
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 17:02:59 +0200
On 2009-06-02 16:24:45 +0200, Adrian Schröter wrote:
Juergen, Michael, Klaas and me sit together to discuss how should we
design the osc request interface. The problem is that osc only knows
"submitreq" command so far. But now we have two more requests, delete and
devel_change requests. And more will come.

This new design will not be compatible with the current "osc submitreq"
and we will most likely not be able to support the old commands in the
same syntax anymore. But we think it is better to do this change anyway
to have it more consistent.

Our idea are the following commands for osc. Please tell us your opinion
about it. (We will implement this tomorrow if no new problems pop up).

you are breaking the UI for no real reason. which is bad.

as written the reason is that "sr" would not able to handle delete or change
devel requests.

And we made also cleanups in other commands for this release, so better do a
change at one step to get a consistent logic again.

Create new requests:
================
osc sr
osc sr PROJECT PACKAGE DESTPROJECT [DESTPACKAGE]
osc submitrequest
osc submitrequest PROJECT PACKAGE DESTPROJECT [DESTPACKAGE]

osc dr PROJECT [PACKAGE]
osc deleterequest PROJECT [PACKAGE

osc cr PROJECT PACKAGE DEVEL_PROJECT [DEVEL_PACKAGE]
osc changedevelrequest PROJECT PACKAGE DEVEL_PROJECT [DEVEL_PACKAGE]

inconsistent. see below

Why is this inconsistent ? where is the conflict ?

Note: So far we had "osc submitreq create ...", the create will get
dropped.

Modify existing requests:
=========================

osc request accept ID
osc request decline ID
osc request revoke ID (drops the request, but it is still showable)
osc request wipe ID (removes the requst forever)

osc request deletion PROJECT [PACKAGE]
osc request changedevel PROJECT PACKAGE DEVEL_PROJECT [DEVEL_PACKAGE]
osc request submit PROJECT PACKAGE DESTPROJECT [DESTPACKAGE]

could get implemented, yes. But deletion would be a special writing, while we
use "delete" elsewhere. and "osc sr" is much shorter than "osc rq submit",
important since it is an often use command.

that way we can leave the old "osc sr" behavior in place as compat
layer. we got this documented in many places, (Wiki, blog postings)
and should not just break it in a rush (2days for such an intrusive
change is a bit too short).

not really, or at least with problems when you want to deal with the new
requests submitted by someone else.

(optional "rq" for "request")

you also added osc req als alternative, which was used before to run api
requests manually. will it would be confusing to keep both around. again
breaking the UI.

yes, but we never promised to keep it forever. We have a stable API instead if
you rely on automatism.

(where we did also a change due to problems with request handling as discussed
two weeks ago, introducing the actions for requests.)

Show existing requests:
=======================

osc list # list requests (maybe we can make this one
obsolete)

"osc request list" if at all.
osc list is too unspecific and could confused as synonym for "osc ls".

it is "osc rq list" actually.

osc request # list requests

it follows the REST style paradigm, might work. would need to see it in
action i think

that one is currently not implemented.

osc request ID

osc request show ID