Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Introduction - Udit Sajjanhar Gsoc 2009
  • From: Udit Sajjanhar <udit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 19:27:06 +0530
On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Klaas Freitag <freitag@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Am Donnerstag, 28. Mai 2009 10:51:42 schrieb Adrian Schröter:
Am Donnerstag, 28. Mai 2009 10:42:37 schrieb Klaas Freitag:
Am Donnerstag, 28. Mai 2009 10:29:23 schrieb Adrian Schröter:
Am Donnerstag, 28. Mai 2009 10:12:58 schrieb Klaas Freitag:
Am Donnerstag, 28. Mai 2009 09:50:02 schrieb Adrian Schröter:
Am Donnerstag, 28. Mai 2009 09:36:06 schrieb Klaas Freitag:
Hi Udit

I am Udit Sajjanhar from IIT Kharagpur, India.

I am working on implementing openid login into the
opensuse-buildservice.

That is great, nice to have you on board!

A public version of my gsoc proposal is available @
http://sajjanharudit.googlepages.com/openidproposal

Reading through your proposal I wasn't able to read about how
the openID capabilities can coexist with the currently used
iChain login mechanism in OBS.

I think it would make sense if one could link the current iChain
account and one or more openID accounts so that alternative
use is possible.

Have you thought about that?

Hm, I am not sure if we need this in our setup. We need anyway to
ensure that a user exists in the eDirectory (== iChain) database,

Why is that? Might sound naive, but I think it's time to revisit this
question.

Because we use the IDs for refering to other systems (bugzilla for
example). We use the login name as key (to map to email address for
bugzilla) for refering to the user.

I of course know that. But this argument is weak.

We're not talking about loosing the user identifying strings. For a
new implementation it would be mandatory that you can connect your
existing iChain account to an openID account. But it would not be
mandatory to _have_ an iChain account, an openID would be sufficient.
Of course the openID-only variant would loose the bugzilla connect,
which is not really used anyway. All other systems can work with the
new system.

Well it is used. But you can argument that we enforce to use the iChain
account only for some users where we need this. (We need it for maintained
packages the contact email address, which is also used for the bugzilla
connection).
It is out of question that we have to ensure a valid email for all users,
maybe through a "reply to this mail to validate your user" or something.
The email coming with openID should also be validated.

We provide the possibility to link the iChain account to openID, as
said before, so we should be fine with the Bugzilla problem.

Buildservice would use iChain via openID bridge. So existing user will
be able to use the current Novell logins.

Existing users will be provided an interface for linking their account
to openid(s). Once done, users will be able to login via openid.

The cool thing would be that people who just want to have a look can
log in with their openID. We have to lower the barrier for them, and
they don't care about bugzilla. Later, when we convinced them to
contribute more we can ask again to create a Novell account to have
the Bugzilla connect.

Thus a new user will not be required to have a iChain account.
New users will also be provided an interface to validate their email address.

klaas