Re: [opensuse-buildservice] osc r7259 (timeout) depends on Python 2.6
  • From: Peter Poeml <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 10:44:00 +0200
On 2009-05-06 12:32:26 +0200, Peter Poeml wrote:
TypeError: urlopen() got an unexpected keyword argument 'timeout'
[1] 9270 exit 1 osc rdelete home:poeml:branches:Subversion

the timeout argument to urllib2.urlopen was introduced with Python 2.6,
as it seems.

Hmm yes it seems so (I only tested it with python26:) ).

One way to work around would be to set socket.setdefaulttimeout(timeout);
possibly only for certain commands; or globally if it doesn't have negative
effects.

What do you think?
I think this should be ok - in the end urllib2 passes the timeout parameter
to httplib which passes it to the socket module. Using a global timeout for
all osc requests won't harm IMHO (if some command doesn't need it can use e.g.
http_GET(url, timeout=None) to disable the default timeout).

I don't think that it harms either. I was only wondering if the setting
via socket.setdefaulttimeout would be more global than setting it
via the http_* methods, and would have a broader effect. But it has the
same result I guess.

Does the attached patch work with python24?

It works with python25 (and I see no reason why it shouldn't work with
2.4 as well).

Thanks,
Peter

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH