Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Build Team Meeting
  • From: Carsten Hoeger <choeger@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 17:02:04 +0200
On Tue, Apr 14, Michael_E_Brown@xxxxxxxx wrote:

apologies for top-post(*)

There was an email a couple days ago with concern about the release strategy
and I didnt see followup (or missed it, in which case, apologies).

Basically, it would be really great if we separated out stable releases into
OpenSUSE:Tools and put beta releases into the -Devel project. This has
affected me in several ways:

-- It has been very difficult time for me with our IT staff when the
"stable" repo has "beta" packages in it. 'Beta' software requires
extremely intensive approval process that just drains the life from you. I
know that there is very little difference between them except the label,
but our IT folk cannot be made to understand.

-- We would like to have a couple instances running for different
international sites and I cant get the versions synced because of the
churn.

-- some rpm upgrade problems (hopefully recently fixed) have prevented me
from doing regular upgrades because my obs instance kept breaking and
requiring attention after every upgrade

Yes, I can only second that.
Although I only install updates on our production machine after I did test
them on the staging system...

--
With best regards,

Carsten Hoeger