Re: [opensuse-buildservice] OBS 1.6 Beta 1 release
  • From: Christian <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 18:49:14 +0000
Hi Adrian,

it's nice to have "beta" version, but I would prefer to have this in
sub-project "Test" or "Unstable".

Some days ago I installed 1.5.1-4.1 on a testbox, and now I wanted to
install it on another box, but this is not possible, because
openSUE:Tools is now at 1.6 beta 1. :(

I think others would agree to this.
Would it be possible to have stable version (e.g. 1.5.1) at
openSUSE:Tools and
newer stables provided via openSUSE:Tools:Updates ?

Kind Regards
Chris

Adrian Schröter schrieb:
Hi,

we are working currently on the next feature release of the
openSUSE Build Service. You can find already a first beta 1 version of 1.6
at the usual places.

This new release features mainly the new Cross Build Support implemented by
Martin and Jan-Simon. This allows to build packages for all hardware
architectures, even without the need to own these. The emulation is realized
via qemu.

Martin and me are working currently also on getting it working in XEN, so we
will get ARM build support also on build.opensuse.org. Hopefully tomorrow :)

Zonker wrote an announcement about this and new partnerships:

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/2263346/​

Martin Mohring documented this support here:

http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/Concepts/CrossDevelopment

The version 1.6 has also the new "build-compare" support, which allows the
system to drop build results, if the result has not changed compared to
former
build.

The 1.6 Beta 1 package can get downloaded from the openSUSE:Tools project

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=obs-
server&project=openSUSE:Tools

or as tar ball from the for pages:

http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/Special:Downloads/opensuse/1.6