Re: [opensuse-buildservice] GSoC '09 proposal - git backend for OBS
  • From: Michael Schroeder <mls@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 11:54:19 +0200
On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 11:42:06AM +0200, Peter Libi?? wrote:
In the opensuse-packaging ML
(http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-packaging/2009-03/msg00040.html)
Peter Poeml encouraged people to try to hack BuildService so it would
use git as its source server.

Uh huh, good luck with that one. I fear that Peter doesn't really have
an overview over what needs to be done to switch to git.

Vivid advantages of the git approach are:
- standard VCS operations like diff, log or commit are offline - this
decreases the server load and one could work without the network
access

That's just delaying the commit until you do a 'git push'. Plus, you
don't really want to have just one git repository for the build
service - 'git pull' always pulls the complete repository, this
would mean having a local copy of *all* sources.
Having a repository for each project is maybe also not enough
because of projects like "openSUSE:Factory".

Another big problem where I don't know how they could be implemented
with git are source links.

Cheers,
Michael.

--