Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: [opensuse] rsync.opensuse.org and download.opensuse.org not in sync?!?!?
  • From: Peter Poeml <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 18:34:41 +0200
On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 05:35:19PM +0200, Manfred Hollstein wrote:
the sync scheduling to mirrors should be a little faster now. I removed
some unnecessary delays. I believe this could have been the main cause,
I'm not sure. There could be another reason why the mozilla project
might have been ignored. I had to work on the output and logging quite a
lot to fix some bugs and make the output more useful, and in the cause I
also synced the mozilla project; I'm not entirely sure why it was
ignored. Most likely it was too late in the alphabet.
We will probably need to prioritize the scheduling by download
popularity. This will have to be revisited later.

first of all, many thanks for your analysis and work to resurrect the
issue. It appears that your assumption is correct as I just found out,
that the "vdr" repository is also completely out of sync (which is even
later in the alphabet than "mozilla").

We use already most of the available bandwidth for syncing the BS
repositories; there is a little bit of room for opimization. Anyhow,
what we see is that for repositories like mozilla or vdr, it affects the
users because it slows downloads for them, but the packages and
functionality is there, even though there's no mirror to redirect to.

An additional issue is that one of the mirrors that the packages are
pushed to is widehat.opensuse.org, which is a.k.a. rsync.opensuse.org.
Thus, anyone waiting for packages on rsync.o.o (or another mirror
pulling from there) can see major delays. The connection to rsync.o.o
could be much faster in practice than it is; we plan to improve on that
in the future (GBit link). It would be good if at least rsync.o. becomes
synced in a timely fashion.

In addition, when KDE:* is affected by a sync delay, then we quickly get
a problem because it doesn't take too long until there are enough
downloads of the packages directly from download.o.o which really blow
up the server (much more bandwidth needed than exists). This has hit us
at least twice during the last days.

Peter

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Research & Development