Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Nix package manager
On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 11:01 -0600, Archie Cobbs wrote:
On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Cristian Rodríguez <crrodriguez@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
I ask because I've found myself in the situation described in the
article: afraid to upgrade, because of past bad experiences and the
knowledge that stuff I've built on my machine will break, and instead
waiting for the next hard disk crash when I will have to reinstall
anyway :-)
On the other hand, I would be happy to hear that I'm being too
pessimistic about the openSUSE upgrade process and why. How should one
avoid dependency hell? Maybe I'm doing it all wrong.

The upgrade process has been pretty good to me (11.1 has been fabulous).
I've been upgrading since 10.0.

A simple example: I have an old SLES9 machine. It still works great
and I use it every day. However, when I tried upgrading my Firefox 2.x
to 3.x, it quickly became impossible and I gave up (there is no
pre-built Firefox 3.x for SLES9 in OBS).

I look at it this way: if you updated so many components to be able run run FF3
then you wouldn't, in any practical sense, have a SLES9 machine anymore. So do
it the easy way and update to SLES 10, etc...