Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Nix package manager
  • From: Cristian Rodríguez <crrodriguez@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 16:00:04 -0300
Cristian Morales Vega escribió:

And anyway it has the usual problems. Do you really want to load three
or four different copies of GTK in memory? Memory is finite.
but
after that Nix packaged software runs "separated" from the main
distro, with even his own copy of libc. It's basically a different
distro running over openSUSE.

Those two things immediately rules it out from my POV, in fact, we go in
the opposite direction avoiding bundled libraries, static linking or any
thing that can cause unneeded or duplicated work.

--
"If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed" -George Carlin
(1937-2008)

Cristian Rodríguez R.
Software Developer
Platform/OpenSUSE - Core Services