Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Nix package manager
  • From: Wolfgang Rosenauer <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 19:55:54 +0100
Archie Cobbs schrieb:
A simple example: I have an old SLES9 machine. It still works great
and I use it every day. However, when I tried upgrading my Firefox 2.x
to 3.x, it quickly became impossible and I gave up (there is no
pre-built Firefox 3.x for SLES9 in OBS). I don't want to have to
download the Firefox source and build it manually. Of course, you can
forget trying to upgrade SLES9 to SUSE 11.x and have everything
continue to work (why should I be forced to do that anyway?). So this
is "the problem".

A little bit offtopic to the main but for your example. There is a
reason there is no Firefox 3 for SLES9. It's simply not possible to
build it since Gtk+ on SLES9 is so old that Firefox 3 refuses to build
(and run).
Nix (whatever this is) wouldn't help you in that case I guess.

Wolfgang