Re: [opensuse-buildservice] another one I dont understand....
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 11:01:50 +0100
Am Samstag, 31. Januar 2009 23:31:37 schrieb Wolfgang Rosenauer:
Hi,

Axel Braun schrieb:
...checking a second package, I get

... running 01-check-debuginfo
... testing for empty debuginfo packages
... running 02-check-gcc-output
... testing for serious compiler warnings
(using /usr/lib/build/checks-data/check_gcc_output)
(using //.build.log)

I: Program returns random data in a function
E: hylafax no-return-in-nonvoid-function Trigger.c++:473
System halted.

What does that tell me? Whats wrong?

That means that there is a non-void function which doesn't return a
value in file Trigger.c++ line 473.
And as a non-void function should really return a _defined_ value that's
wrong in almost all cases.

Right, we added this check because the compiler changed its behaviour at some
point of time due to optimizations.

Old gcc compilers always return a defined value (dunno which one anymore).
With current compilers a random value gets returned. So it is really
unpredictable what happens now in the application code.

Since this might even cause security issues it is really recommended to fix
the code (which was also broken before the gcc change) and not to workaround
this.

bye
adrian