Re: [opensuse-buildservice] iChain timeouts
  • From: Volker Kuhlmann <list0570@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 18:51:23 +1300
On Tue 09 Dec 2008 20:53:11 NZDT +1300, Adrian Schröter wrote:

Was there a change on the iChain setup? Recently (maybe for about one
week or so..) I am logged out very frequently from the OBS and Bugzilla
tracker... whereas before I could basically log in once in the morning I
have now to log in approx every hour, or maybe two hours (not using it
on a minute basis and I did not measure.. but I have to login almost
everytime I want to do something).

I am not aware of such a change, but will keep an eye on it.

If you are sure about this, feel free to create a bugreport.

The "bug" may be with the user's ISP. I have had big trouble like this
several years ago with SUSE's bug tracker, turned out my ISP was running
transparent web caches. The IP address seen by the web app is that of
the web cache, not that of the user, and if browser requests get handled
randomly by one of a number of caches, then the web app will do a logout
with each cache change.

The problem went away probably for a number of reasons. If there are
still sufferers, the only workaround is likely to be to use the
page-auto-reload function in konqueror on an unrelated page on the same
server, in the hope that as long as there are continued page requests,
the caching will use the same cache. A more reliable solution would be
to fix the web app to not rely on user IP address for authentication,
it's dubious anyway. Many users are behind big chaces that aren't even
transparent.

This all without knowing whether this is really the problem, but the
symptoms fit.

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann is list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/ Please do not CC list postings to me.