Re: [opensuse-buildservice] debian transformer problems on xUbuntu 8.10
  • From: Carsten Hoeger <choeger@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 13:56:46 +0100
On Tue, Jan 13, Martin Mohring wrote:

yes, .tar.bz2 works fine for 6.06, 7.04, 8.04.

It would be nice if you fix this regression.

I got on the other hand the answer from some ubuntu packagers that
.tar.bz2 will not be accepted by the public build instances for debia or
ubuntu, so it has a good reason that dpkg-source is crying about not
allowed .tar.bz2. I switced back to .tar.gz for my combi .deb and .rpm
packages though.

What I say is valid for at least:
- Debian Lenny, Sid
- Ubuntu: 7.10, 8.04, 8.10, 9.04

As far as I know the build service automatically repackages the .tar.bz2
that I give into a .tar.gz file before the build. Like I said AFAIK it
does that for all debs except 8.10.
So I'm waiting that the openSUSE people fix this bug.

I think it does not repackage the sources from .tar.bz2 into .tar.gz.
What filenames would you like to use in this case, what should be stated
in the .dsc then?
Lets do that on an example multiplatform .deb and .spec based package.
The source file is called hallo.tar.bz2. The .spec files references then
hallo.tar.bz2, this is easy. On the other hand, the .dsc file references
then hallo.tar.gz, a file that does not exist, only to circumvent some
dpkg-source consistency checks which are there for a good reason?

This is not a good solution, because not transparent. Why not fulfil the
Debian/Ubuntu and the Fedora/... whatever packaging requirements?

Yes, I'd second that.

--
With best regards,

Carsten Hoeger