Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Confusing (contradicting) error message about a java compiler
  • From: Carsten Hoeger <choeger@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 17:06:23 +0100
On Fri, Jan 09, Richard Bos wrote:

when I build a package with precompiled java classes on openSUSE_11.1
and beyond I get the following behaviour:

With java 1.6.0 installed, following error:
FHoSS.jar: de/fhg/fokus/hss/sh/data/ShDataParser.class
FHoSS.jar: de/fhg/fokus/hss/sh/ShConstants.class
FHoSS.jar: de/fhg/fokus/hss/sh/ShExperimentalResultException.class
ERROR: the files above contain java bytecode for something later than java
1.5,
ERROR: please set the javac target to 1.5 or lower.
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.99596 (%install)

The message is confusing as it states that the classes for later than 1.5.
As I build the rpm with java-1.6.0, that should match, but the advice is too
use 1.5.0?
ERROR: the files above contain java bytecode for something later than java
1.5,
ERROR: please set the javac target to 1.5 or lower.

Is this correct?

If I build the rpm with 1.5.0, there so many errors, that's not funny
anymore.

I'd recommend to use

export NO_BRP_CHECK_BYTECODE_VERSION=true

In your specfile in the install section.
That will switch off that broken check.

See also:

http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-buildservice/2008-12/msg00016.html

and