Re: [opensuse-buildservice] built: kernelmodule for broadcom 802.11 STA driver
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 11:35:16 +0100
On Dienstag 23 Dezember 2008 02:25:11 Christian wrote:
Hi,

built a kernel module for:
Broadcom's IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n hybrid Linux device driver
for use with Broadcom's
- BCM4311
- BCM4312
- BCM4321
- and BCM4322 based hardware.

tested on 11.1 and works as expected.

but I still have some questions:

- Is it allowed to build non GPL'd RPM's , or have I to remove it ?

means non-GPL also closed source ?

In that case, yes it is forbidden. There are two exceptions:

- firmware binaries are allowed.
- You may get it as official supported NonFree package. Please make a request
via bugzilla for for this. However, if it is legal wise incompatible with
the kernel (GPL) code, I doubt that it will get accepted.

- If it is allowed, is there a way to force user to accept license,
before installing the package ?
license is telling something about non-exclusive, non-transferable,
royalty-free license

Yes, but only via creating a product media. So it takes some more effort.

Module can be found there:

home:computersalat:KMP

Kind regards
Chris