Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Colons considered harmful: escaping LD_LIBRARY_PATH in OBS projects
  • From: Michal Vyskocil <mvyskocil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 08:25:00 +0100
On Tuesday 06 of January 2009 18:04:30 Brandon Philips wrote:
On 11:10 Tue 06 Jan 2009, Pavol Rusnak wrote:
Brandon Philips wrote:
Ping? I almost forgot about this thread due to the holidays.

Despite the new year: It is still a bug. And we need a solution. :D

I suggested a comma which does not interfere with anything AFAIK.
Creating patch for OSC is a matter of minutes and I can push it anytime.
The only thing we need is to agree on the solution.

I am concerned that using such an exotic seperator will just create
problems in another library, script, or language. Limiting the use of
characters to the most portable subset of POSIX filenames: A–Za–z0–9._-
would be a pragmatic choice.

Well, problem is, that those names are allowed in a name of projects, or
packages. There are projects like home:-miska-, home:a_jaeger,
Java:jpackage-1.7, (or something like Gnome_Community+OpenSUSE_Factory) and
defining any of these character as a new separator will brings a lot of
problems.

I still recommends to use a normal directory structure after checkout (this
don't need any changes on server side):

osc co home:foo pkg -- > home/foo/pkg/pkg.spec
osc co home:bar pkg ---> home/bar/pkg/pkg.spec
osc co home:bar:subbar pkg ---> home/bar/subbar/pkg/pkg.spec

Not needed to use an exotic separator, not needed to do huge rename of
projects, ... . And osc could have a -r/--recursive option to work on all
projects, or just with a current one (for example for osc up). It's easy to
decide, if the current directory is a package dir, or a project one (just take
a look into .osc/).

Only one constraint is project cannot contains package and a subproject with a
same name. But this shouldn't be a huge problem, I hope ;-).