Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Colons considered harmful: escaping LD_LIBRARY_PATH in OBS projects
  • From: Brandon Philips <brandon@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 11:47:58 -0800
On 14:44 Fri 19 Dec 2008, Pavol Rusnak wrote:
Michal Marek wrote:
My idea was that 'osc co home:a_jaeger:something' would create
home_a_jaeger_something. If there would be a user "a" with project
home:a:jaeger:something and you would want to checkout his project, then
you would have to chose a different directory name. Would that work?

I did a little investigation about using special chars in OBS projects.
Mine observation:

':' - 6940 times (obviously)
'_' - 3361 (probably not a good candidate either)
'-' - 349
'.' - 107

'.' seems like a good choice! It is a common symbol for namespacing, it
is compatible with http/shell/dns/etc and it is familiar to many people
using Java/.NET namespacing.

Plus, it looks like half of a colon: we are saving pixels ;)

Of course we need to figure out how many people have dots in their
usernames but that could be worked around somehow.

Cheers,

Brandon