Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Colons considered harmful: escaping LD_LIBRARY_PATH in OBS projects
  • From: Brandon Philips <brandon@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 11:43:23 -0800
On 20:17 Thu 18 Dec 2008, Michal Marek wrote:
Brandon Philips napsal(a):
On 13:24 Thu 18 Dec 2008, Michal Marek wrote:
Because it's really only in osc checkouts where the colon causes
problems.

I am not convinced that this is the only place this is causing problems.

One example are the repo URLs where the colon characters are used as
seperators for directories and there is server magic needed to translate
from unslashed to slashed versions...

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Virtualization:OpenVZ:kernel-2.6.26/openSUSE_Factory/

directs to

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Virtualization:/OpenVZ:/kernel-2.6.26/openSUSE_Factory/

The download server adds slashes, so that mirrors can easily skip e.g.
the home: namespace.

Huh?! How are we doing mirroring?! rsync can skip directories named
home:.*/ just as well as home:/

I guess the download server would work perfectly
fine with urls like
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Virtualization:OpenVZ:kernel-2.6.26/openSUSE_Factory/
but less mirrors would be willing to mirror the buildservice.

It does work fine. But my point is that we now have two ways projects are
represented:

1) Internally to OBS it is Virtualization:OpenVZ:kernel-2.6.26
2) On HTTP mirrors it is Virtualization:/OpenVZ:/kernel-2.6.26

And now we are going to have to add a third:

3) On local developer checkouts it is Virtualization-OpenVZ-kernel-2.6.26

This is confusing and adds needless work...

Say I have a local project checkout and want to go lookup the OBS
project, add the repository via YAST, or do a submitreq I will need to:

copy the directory name as Virtualization-OpenVZ-kernel-2.6.26
paste it into Firefox/Yast/etc as Virtualization-OpenVZ-kernel-2.6.26
edit all of the little dashes into colons so OBS understands...

This doesn't sound like a lot of fun to me :(

Are we going to add more server magic to translate from the dashed
version of osc too?

e.g.

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Virtualization-OpenVZ-kernel-2.6.26/openSUSE_Factory/

Why?

I was just using this as an example. My point is that we are going to
end up with possibly three separators since colon doesn't work in all of
the situations that we need it to:

:/ for HTTP/FTP
: for osc, OBS, and XML files
- for developer checkouts on the filesystem

BTW, now that I think of it. Why wasn't / used as the separator to begin
with?

Thanks,

Brandon