Re: [opensuse-buildservice] openSUSE:Factory & 11.1 repos - meta data primary.xml
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 17:35:59 +0100
On Montag 08 Dezember 2008 16:33:56 Archie Cobbs wrote:
On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 7:58 AM, Michael Schroeder <mls@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 01:04:28PM +0100, Martin Mohring wrote:
We had tested the flavors of rpmmd with the Download on Demand parser,
and tested in practise with Fedora/Red Hat and openSUSE/SUSE Linux
variants, to be sure it works. Now I wanted to add openSUSE 11.1 and
current Factory, but did not find a primary.xml . Couldn't you call
createrepo for us ? Otherwise we have to write a third parser.

No, createrepo kills us. It's much too slow and uses too much
memory.

Dumb question: what in the nature of generating a package index
requires the memory usage to scale in proportion to the number of
packages, instead of being O(1) (constant)?

Or is creatrepo's algorithm just, uh, sub-optimal?

I think it is just sub-optimal. At least older implementation worked fine.
However, it seems that no one has currently a real interesst to fix it, so it
stays disabled for now.

It is no problem to enable it again, once it works better, but this will
happen after 11.1.

bye
adrian