Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Using keyring for storing passwords
  • From: Marcus Hüwe <suse-tux@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 13:16:40 +0100
On 2008-12-04 12:56:44 +0100, Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
On 12/4/2008 at 12:54 PM, Marcus Hüwe <suse-tux@xxxxxx> wrote:
First thanks for your patch but I'm a bit hesitant to add a gnome
dependency
to osc (although it's optional). What about if we simply store the
password
base64 encoded in the ~/.oscrc file? Wouldn't this be sufficient?

BASE64 is as good as no encryption at all. Trying to obfuscate has
nothing to do with securing anything.
Of course it has nothing to do with security but it prevents others
from "stealing" one's password by just "looking over the shoulder".
I thought this was his main concern.

The patch looks like it takes quiet nicely care of skipping in case
it's not available... maybe it can be extended with a configure
parameter, if it should try to be used at all:
use-gkm: 1
in ~/.oscrc

Yes you're right the patch itself looks good.

Marcus