Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Build service is borked - again
  • From: Martin Mohring <martin.mohring@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 20:15:20 +0100
John Kelly wrote:
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 17:42:04 +0100, Martin Mohring
<martin.mohring@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If "self hosting" and "minimal" is the issue here, than you always have
the option to install a local buildservice on your machines. OBS is even
opensource, so feel free to improve the "slow algorithms" and the "buggy
code", that results in a "borked" service. We are heavily looking for
developers and testers in this area.

To work for free, while you earn a salary? I will be happy to hear a
job offer which includes a competitive salary.

But that makes it neccesary that you tell us what is your qualification,
and what you would like to be :-)

Otherwise, if it is a service that is commonly used, it has to serve
many needs. So individual needs may not be 100% satisfied.

You miss the point. A minimal self hosting repo would be useful to a
wide audience, not just a few.

It seems to me, OBS developers are defensive of their own turf, and do
not see the big picture.

Please explain me, what turf do the OBS developers defend.
The scheduling "power" Adrian mentioned is academic; the reality is:
OBS is TOO SLOW.

This is a relative thing. TOO SLOW towards what measure.
Better code is not the only solution. You need a better practical
approach. Split the big opensuse project into smaller sub projects.
That may not improve scheduling speed, but think beyond the code.

Also here: according to what technical requirements and what measure?
If people won't use opensuse/OBS, because the repo is 3000+ big, and
unwieldy, there's no point of working hard on code. Try not to hide
from yourselves, the fundamental needs which are obvious to everyone
else.

Thats all relative: I also want a car that needs only 1l / 100km, can
drive lightspeed and costs nothing. But nobody yet fulfilled my
practical need. Nevertheless, cars that do not fulfil this seem to be of
practical relevance.

Martin