Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Build service is borked - again
  • From: John Kelly <jak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 17:15:52 +0000
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 17:42:04 +0100, Martin Mohring
<martin.mohring@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If "self hosting" and "minimal" is the issue here, than you always have
the option to install a local buildservice on your machines. OBS is even
opensource, so feel free to improve the "slow algorithms" and the "buggy
code", that results in a "borked" service. We are heavily looking for
developers and testers in this area.

To work for free, while you earn a salary? I will be happy to hear a
job offer which includes a competitive salary.

Otherwise, if it is a service that is commonly used, it has to serve
many needs. So individual needs may not be 100% satisfied.

You miss the point. A minimal self hosting repo would be useful to a
wide audience, not just a few.

It seems to me, OBS developers are defensive of their own turf, and do
not see the big picture.

The scheduling "power" Adrian mentioned is academic; the reality is:
OBS is TOO SLOW.

Better code is not the only solution. You need a better practical
approach. Split the big opensuse project into smaller sub projects.
That may not improve scheduling speed, but think beyond the code.

If people won't use opensuse/OBS, because the repo is 3000+ big, and
unwieldy, there's no point of working hard on code. Try not to hide
from yourselves, the fundamental needs which are obvious to everyone
else.

--
Webmail for Dialup Users
http://www.isp2dial.com/freeaccounts.html