Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Build service is borked - again
  • From: Martin Mohring <martin.mohring@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 17:42:04 +0100
John Kelly wrote:
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 17:18:20 +0100, Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Freitag 28 November 2008 17:06:29 John Kelly wrote:

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 15:17:12 +0100, Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>

wrote:

Just to clarify, I am happy about any constructive suggesstion how to
speed up the process. But we have by intention a batch job system and
not a life interactive system in this regard to be handle the load at all.

Your most fundamental problem is having 3000+ opensuse distro packages
all in one big repo. SUSE needs a minimal build system which can host
and bootstrap itself.

Actually, it is way more. Since we have at least one source link to each
package, also this one is affected and needs to recalculated.

In addition to this also repos depending on other repos.

So, the scheduler is not really interessted in which project a package
lives.
It always calculates the dependency graph for the entire universe (all
package
in all projects in all repos for all architectures).

Now you can say that this is a silly setup. But it is also the power of the
service that you can always see if it does still work with the current
version. This gives a lot functionality which helps us to test and develop
stuff and to improve our quality.

Base:build is a start, but without meta packages like rpmlint-mini and
friends, it can't bootstrap itself within the OBS. And those packages
add many dependencies on .*-tk and xorg-.*

It does not really matter if the packages are in one project or multiple.
The
scheduler knows all of them and needs to calculate the dependencies also
across the projects. (due to source links or depending repositories).

Schedule the universe if you want to. But SUSE still needs a minimal
self hosting repo that other people can use. Many of us don't want to
see the whole universe!

If "self hosting" and "minimal" is the issue here, than you always have
the option to install a local buildservice on your machines. OBS is even
opensource, so feel free to improve the "slow algorithms" and the "buggy
code", that results in a "borked" service. We are heavily looking for
developers and testers in this area.

Otherwise, if it is a service that is commonly used, it has to serve
many needs. So individual needs may not be 100% satisfied.

Martin