Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Build service is borked - again
  • From: John Kelly <jak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 16:06:29 +0000
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 15:17:12 +0100, Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

Just to clarify, I am happy about any constructive suggesstion how to
speed up the process. But we have by intention a batch job system and
not a life interactive system in this regard to be handle the load at all.

Your most fundamental problem is having 3000+ opensuse distro packages
all in one big repo. SUSE needs a minimal build system which can host
and bootstrap itself.

Base:build is a start, but without meta packages like rpmlint-mini and
friends, it can't bootstrap itself within the OBS. And those packages
add many dependencies on .*-tk and xorg-.*

As a subproject within each opensuse release, you need a minimal build
system which can host and bootstrap itself. Then everything else sits
on top of that.

I achieved that for 11.0, and if I can do it, you can too. Please see
my home project home:a23d56:opensuse-11.0-minimal:base.

I hacked python to cut .*-tk dependencies. I also hacked a few other
spec files to cut out xorg-.* dependencies. The result is 89 packages
which self host and bootstrap in the OBS.

You can do the same in the opensuse distro. Start by splitting python
into two source packages, python and python-tk. You will also need to
make some changes to create a wall between the minimal set of packages
and xorg-.* dependencies.

Instead of cooking all packages in one huge pot, imagine many smaller
repos, all building against a minimal self bootstrapping repo. I can
imagine how happy you will be.

--
Webmail for Dialup Users
http://www.isp2dial.com/freeaccounts.html