Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Build service is borked - again
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 16:57:16 +0100
On Freitag 28 November 2008 16:39:12 Andrew Beekhof wrote:
On Nov 28, 2008, at 3:19 PM, Adrian Schröter wrote:
On Freitag 28 November 2008 14:32:55 Andrew Beekhof wrote:
On Nov 28, 2008, at 1:43 PM, Adrian Schröter wrote:
On Freitag 28 November 2008 13:27:43 Andrew Beekhof wrote:
All jobs in
https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor?project=home%3Abeekhof
were in the "finished' state for nearly an hour.

The x86_64 are okay, because the scheduler was reloading to take the
new code
we need. (this takes about two hours with the size of our service).
We do this
for this reason per architecture, so only one is hanging for a
while.

The i586 scheduler has processed it meanwhile, I saw that it had
more than
2000 medium events some hours ago (means that it has to recalculate
2000
project repositories due to changed packages). If you can provide a
patch
which makes this faster, I am happy to apply. (small sidenote, a
compiler
which compiles the entire distribution instantly would be also
appricated :).

You're missing the point.
This is not about scheduler reloads taking too long.

They're necessary, we get that... they take a while, we get that
too... just tell us when they (and other maintenance events) are
happening.

You can see this always on the monitor page.

No. You can't.

The last i586 scheduler restart was 4 days ago and the dispatcher/
publisher was also over a day.
So nothing on that page would indicate why i586 packages were not
moving from the finished to the success state around lunch time today.

Well it was restarted some minutes ago, but at the time of your writing you
was able to see that the x86_64 scheduler got restarted.

The reason why the i586 scheduler was slow are just > 600 source package
changes (submitted within 10 minutes) and more than 1600 package build events.

Yes, we look permanently how to improve the speed. All what I wanted to say
that we do not do stupid things by intention and it is not obviously easy to
fix this within seconds.

We have often enough
multiple thousands packages to be build, waiting for them will quite
often not
work (and this is independend of any kind of maintenance).

The status page is the first thing I look at when something seems to
be taking a while (when I checked today the queue lengths were single
digits) and if I see a high load the immediate reaction is: "Oh, its
just really busy. I'll do something else then".

Which again illustrates my point - if we know what's going on, we'll
be more understanding.

Look again, you see that the i586 scheduler was restarted some minutes ago.
Yes, it would be nice to see also the open events to get processed.

Is it really so much trouble to add a one-liner to the status messages?

The message can (and will) be forgotten in daily work (it is not really the
case that we only work on one thing in parallel). A automatic report, like it
can be found there with the starting time of the scheduler can't :)