Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Downloads from opensuse mirrors are very slow ~ 40bit/sec
  • From: Peter Poeml <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 13:59:17 +0100
Hi Sagi,

didn't know that you also wrote here. So I follow up with a short status
for the list.

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 04:14:35PM +0200, Sagi Ben-Akiva wrote:
lately I noticed that it takes to much time to update my system with
the latest packages.
I know about many users from my country, Israel, that are suffering
from the same problem.
[...]
When I'm trying to download the package manually from
ftp://dispenser.yandex.net I get about 30 bits/sec
but when I use a different mirror that reside in a different continent
I get much better performance, about 100KB/sec

I think that this is related to the fact that the Israeli ISPs are
connected to USA and Europe providers.

ISO 3166 country list knows Israel as Asian country, but this doesn't
necessarily reflect international connectivity, yes. Thanks for the
input, it allows me to fine-tune the mirror-selection accordingly.

So Israelian users now get to European mirrors, specifically to German
ones.

I made the same change for Turkey, while I was at it, and chewing on
workd map and an OECD report about development of broadband access that
I found.

Input like this is very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Peter
--
Contact: admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx (a.k.a. ftpadmin@xxxxxxxx)