Re: [opensuse-buildservice] recursive project reference
  • From: John Kelly <jak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 20:15:25 +0000
On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:13:21 +0100, Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>

If I use a recursive project reference, is OBS smart enough to break a
loop, or will it explode?

Yes, it does break a loop. But it really hurts the scheduler and our logs.
And it does make absolut no sence to have a setup like this.

custom --> self
update --> self
repo ----> :Update repo

What that means is, my custom packages have highest priority, then
updates, then the main repo. And I want to bootstrap updates against
my custom packages.

How do you propose I achieve this without using recursive project

I think I have better idea now.

hack --> self
redo --> self

self ------> repo

"hack" is a subproject containing my custom packages. May as well
call them hacks.

"redo" is a subproject containing suse updates, which I import from
source rpms and checkin to my project. I don't see any other way to
publish them in a rollup release.

"repo" is the non-update suse repo. Since I import updated packages
into "redo," by referencing the non-update repo, I can avoid certain
updates if I wish. Sometimes suse updates break things, reassurances
to the contrary notwithstanding.

In self, I will use _aggregate to link everything I want to publish,
collecting packages from hack, redo, and repo. The result will be
that everything builds first against the _aggregates in self, giving
the desired bootstrap effect without recursive project references.

After exploring different ideas for using OBS, this seems to be my
best option.

Webmail for Dialup Users