Re: [opensuse-buildservice] How to use aggregate and merge updates?
  • From: Marcus Hüwe <suse-tux@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 19:21:36 +0100
On 2008-11-15 18:03:26 +0000, John Kelly wrote:
I built syslogd, first against openSUSE:11.0 repo, and second against
openSUSE:11.0:Update repo.

The build logs show that in the first case, libacl was taken from the
distribution version, and in the second case, from the newer version
in update.

The :Update repo says "Use this repository only if you need to compile
against incompatible update releases ... kmp modules." I think I also
read somewhere that non kernel packages are guaranteed compatible.

There are some rare cases where this "rule" doesn't apply (e.g. kmps,
clamav...).

But what if I want to build against the updates anyway?

It seems I can't aggregate my packages to the :Update repo, because
aggregate does not work if there is no update for a package.

Hmm why don't you build directly against the Update repo? You could
also build against openSUSE:XXX and openSUSE:XXX:Update.
I think there's no need to you an aggregate.

So what is the best approach for using aggregate and merging updates
into my project, so I can re-release it from time to time?

I also need to use link and patch some packages, so I don't think KIWI
is the right place to start.

I'm no kiwi expert but I think you can also use kiwi with your linked
packages.

Marcus