Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Minimal server
  • From: Richard Bos <ml@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 20:16:48 +0100
Hi,

Op Thursday 13 November 2008 19:20:11 schreef Jan-Simon Möller:
The tutorial mentions aggregate vs. link, but I could not see how to
link a whole project using the web client.

If you want to use a whole project as base for your own packages, add it as
repository! Thats how is it done for all projects (openSUSE:11.0,
openSUSE:Factory - all are projects). Then _your_ project has a repository
derived/on top of e.g. Base:build. So the easy way would be:
* remove all the Base:build packages
* hit "Add Repository" ind your home and on the next page "[Advanced]"
* there you can select Base:Build as repository.
* now add your own packages to your home: - they will be build using the
stuff from Base:Build.

2 questions related to this:
- Am I correct that it is only possible to add 1 openSUSE version at a time?
So if I want to provide multiple repositories e.g. 10.3, 11.0 and factory,
this method has to be executed 3 times, is it indeed like this?

- Is it only possible to include (build against) 1 other repository? If I
want to build against (include) 2 other repositories (like e.g. the
hypothetical repositories devel:lang:perl and devel:lang:php), what would be
the best method?
- build against (e.g.) devel:lang:perl and aggregate the php ones (or the
other way around
- or just aggregate both
- something else?

Please keep in mind: every duplicate package is wasting space and
cpu-cycles. If you just import packages, but have no patch or other
changes, use _aggregate. If there's no change, why it should get rebuilt ?
(Thats what _link would do.)

Because of the confusing comment on the wiki
http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/Tips_and_Tricks#The_difference_between__link_and__aggregate
"Aggregate is possible, but slows down your build and requires double space.
Better build directly against the other repository."
I don't use aggregate.... Is the comment correct, about the slower builds and
double file space???? As the packages are already build, I would expect that
aggregated are not build at all.
Is the table perhaps missing a row with "build against other repository" or if
this is possible, build against multiple repositories?

--
Richard Bos
We are borrowing the world of our children,